An example three-act scructure outline.
- (protagonist) Introduce them.
- (hook) Key line spoken / hook grabs attention.
- Show protag's personality.
- (turning point) Element of risk. Sends story in new direction.
- Audience chance to relax. Protag reflects on dilemma. Formed goal - false. Minor setback.
- (focus point 1) Refocuses TP1. Sign of growth.
- Protag takes first action. Growth in protag's character. Obstacles get tougher.
- (point of no return/mid-point) Protag begins to take charge of destiny. Considers giving up, but continues with no going back to former ways.
- Subplot sometimes established or location changed.
- (focus point 2) Restates problem. Good focus points are linked. Show protag's growth with 1st FP hinting at it, 2nd showing in full.
- Sometimes expositionary sequence explaining inner motivation of protag. Sets up action leading to:
- (turning point 2/climax) Refocuses story. Integrated into story with obvious setup. Will lead to sense of failure/despair.
- Audience chance to relax. Accelerates action toward climax. Sometimes chase/pursuit.
- (climax) Final confrontation. Peak emotional moment. Satisfying ending.
- (epilogue) Key line / hook resonated, but with meaning changed.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.